Thursday, January 15, 2009

Abstinence-Only Sex Education?

You have got to be kidding me. Last year our government spent $204 million for a "sex education" program that focused on "virginity pledges"? Apparently teens view these as non-binding, and are just as likely to have sex as those who don't take the pledge. I can think of a lot better uses for that kind of money.

Not that the government is the only one to blame. Focus on sex education ought to be with the parents, and other trusted people in the child's life. If church is your thing, then get help there. I don't think we ought to be trusting the schools with that, as well as everything else kids are supposed to learn.

About the education itself, why do people feel the need to shelter teens from information that helps them in the long run? I made it my own responsibility to learn all my options, but part of that was due to a lack of information. My parents weren't the type to talk about sex, except I think my mother bought me a book about the birds and the bees when I was four. She brought up birth control - for the first time - after I moved in with a member of the opposite sex. I still read up on the new options, because it's in my best interest. My body chemistry isn't the happiest about some of them, and I am a planner.

I've noticed the theme in TV shows and movies- quite a few show pregnant teens. While that isn't all that could happen to them, it's interesting to get Hollywood's take on it.

Before you think I'm just picking on teens, I think it's the responsibility of every adult to know what's going on, too. Far too many unplanned pregnancies happen in all levels of the community. I know nothing is 100% effective, but several of us - including me - are accidents. In my case, the method wasn't effective. Could have been for any number of reasons.

I know the world would be much different if everyone planned things. Even the decision 'to let it happen when it happens' is a plan. Have the conversation, make choices, do research - this is the only way the world will change.

Read more here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay, but as a writer, you should be glad that people are poor planners. The "unplanned pregnancy" is probably one of the most popular plot complications. Almost... cliché.