Saturday, December 13, 2008

The Erotica Section

Ever visited it in your local bookstore? Quite a few people I know are a bit embarrassed to go there. Some of them even write erotica.

This shame that follows us for being interested in sex (at least, in this country) is woven deep in our culture, yet it also hasn't been able to quash the adult entertainment industry. Do you wonder if, like alcohol, the bigger deal we make out of it the more we are attracted to it? Or is it like the article I wrote about a few days ago, where our brains are simply hard-wired to be more affected by erotic stimuli than all other things?

If sex is a basic need and something that drives us, why do we make it so difficult on ourselves? If a society scorns pieces of daily life, what does it say about that culture? To survive we need a few things: to eat, to excrete, to couple, to breathe, to be. What would we think of a group of people who found eating to be deplorable? Wait, we have people like that. How about that we couldn't get rid of waste? If you follow our swear words- fuck and shit are two of the "worst." (We're not talking about how creative we can be, but the basic principles we base our swearing on go back to two functions we can't live without.)

It makes me want to shout, "You son-of-a-breather! What the being are you thinking?" But, then, I've been known to be silly that way.

Break out of your routine next time you're at the bookstore. Check out a section you normally wouldn't - even if it isn't erotica. I doubt anyone will notice except you, unless you take all your friends with you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's weird...it's been a long time since I've felt "weird" in the erotica section of a bookstore. And yet, I still haven't been able to bring myself to tell even my favorite sister that I've actually been paid for an erotica story.