Saturday, January 30, 2016

A Lack of Progress

When was the last time someone said no to something you asked for?

It makes an interesting contrast for characters. I responded with something that I hadn't expected. Outrage is an emotion that could carry me to do a lot of things.

Most of the time I write it out. I allow some poor character to try to do all the great things that I'd like to do, like burning bridges and cursing storms. Ever find yourself to be too polite to say the things in your mind?

No is often a barrier to make a character reach harder. Failure is the only option to make them grow. Sometimes, though, I wish people didn't have so much to learn.

So if you're wondering - I felt like I was stuck in the 1950s this week. And I'm breaking out of that mold. I'm now twisting some poor character into that spot to break her out in all the ways I can think of that I couldn't actually do in person. Should be an interesting evening for me.

As for you - next time you hear the word no, what do you do? Is your first reaction the only response? Or is there more to it?

No comments: