Saturday, March 24, 2012

On the Search for an Artist


I'll admit I prefer to keep things among friends. It isn't that I don't like strangers or big corporations, but helping out a friend is important to me. So I've been pushing myself to remember all the artists that I know that might want to do some work for me with my determination to get some collections published this year.

It's an interesting thing, trying to find an artist. One option is in college and likes that I have a bunch of ideas and I am open to her insight on how to put them together. I just think I know where my strengths lie. I love art, I want to see it put together nicely, but I also know that I might not be the best judge of how that is done. She also let me know what her strengths are, which makes me like her better.

Anyone who isn't afraid to share where the weaknesses are is pretty great in my book. So I started a search for someone else who is more for drawing and less graphics for the next part of my search.

Somehow another name fell into my lap along with a sketch by the artist my friend was talking up. I just have to see how he feels about working with an erotica writer. Could be the start of something great.

My head is overflowing when I start to consider the art aspects. I need covers for each of the collections I'm planning - three at the moment - and also I'd love to get a new piece for my bio. I want these to be the best I can afford, but also patronize the people close to me who want to do this kind of work.

Then it's just about decisions to make the best fits for the projects at hand. But artwork really isn't easy to put together for a writer. I'll admit that I have a bit of talent when it comes to art, but also it's been years since I did anything with that. It's sad, since my high school art teacher once thought I could major in art. How different things might have been - if I were the illustrator looking for an author to partner with.

I remind myself I can't be the master of every talent, and look again for someone whose first passion is in the artistic imagery rather than the written word to portray the covers and other artwork I might need in my work.

Better to spend the rest of my time editing, rather than trying to put together a picture. It's my hope that the fans will want me writing something else, rather than waiting for my to make my own artwork. Perhaps if I get inspired I'll manage that, too, one day.

Until then I need an artist or two.

No comments: