Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Revision

I finally pulled out the novel to start revisions. I have notes and I'm doing a read-through. I didn't start at the beginning...

Well, I haven't figured out exactly where it's supposed to start yet. I have some chapters in the beginning, but they need to be cut. I figured out when I finished the book that I began with backstory. Backstory goes in the back, as a friend of mine keeps telling me. The trouble is always finding exactly where it begins.

The action begins where things change. Too many times it's easier to set up the reader, make them take needless meanderings through the parts the writer needs to have to make it work instead of only the good stuff.

Also trying not to keep things that don't belong just because I wrote them well. That doesn't mean they can't be used somewhere - just not in the current story.

No comments: